Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bathroom Redo

This is the upstairs bathroom when we bought the cottage.
This is the same bathroom after we redid it.
We had the bathroom gutted including the bathtub, cabinets and sinks and started completely over.  I would love to have put pedestal sinks in but they just weren't practical considering the girls use this bathroom. So we had the cabinets custom built. I wanted them to look like an antique vanity.
I really wanted to buy one of the old historical homes downtown. Doc B on the other hand hates old houses. I look at them and see charm. He looks at them and sees at lot of work and money.
So we compromised and got this sort of old house. I'm afraid it's a little more of a fixer upper than Doc B had planned on. I made the curtain myself using fabric from my fabric stash.
I used the mirrors that were in the original bathroom and painted them. I am really pleased with how they came out. I saved money by not buying new mirrors but then used the money I saved to buy the very expensive Annie Sloan paint and the wax and brushes that go with it ;)
 I found the light fixtures on eBay. They came from an estate sale. I think they might be my favorite thing in the whole redo.
I got the shower curtain, bath mat, and the girl's towels from Garnet Hill. No money saving here!
This cabinet over the commode is just a cheapy from JCPenney. You can even see that the knobs are uneven. I guess you get what you pay for. The vintage commode seat cover was another find on eBay.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Making a place home is what its all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom B,
    Great Job on the Bath. Looks so pretty. I love the charm of old houses too. I guess men are on another planet.
    Nancy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful post! Love all the girly details!

    ReplyDelete